Sunday, June 15, 2008

Baking For Obama Fundraiser

For the first time in my life I am planning to host a fundraiser for a political candidate. I like many of us over the years have grown apathetic towards our political process in general and politicians in particular. However, today I sense in a change in the political and social climate of our nation. I believe that we as a nation are at crossroads between continuing the policies that have led to the mess we currently find ourselves in and taking another road towards peace and tolerance.

Thanks in large part to George W. Bush and his wing-nut friends our country has reached an intolerable state for many Americans on both sides of the political spectrum. We are in the midst of unending war against an enemy we can not identify, let alone defeat. Our economy is in shambles and our political discourse has reached a level where governing is almost impossible. Our civil liberties have been trampled in the name of the “War on Terrorism” or the “War on Drugs”. Torture of our fellow human beings is being openly debated and condoned. For many of us this is not the America we had envisioned or agreed to even after 9/11.

So for these reasons and many others, I have decided to do more than just sit behind a monitor and write about these ailments. I have decided to take a chance and dream again, to hope again in an America that stands for great things both at home and abroad. For me Senator Barack Obama represents an opportunity to bring about the changes needed to create that America, not because I believe that he is such a great man but because I believe that he can inspire all of us to do better. Senator Obama is merely the catalyst for change in this country. He is only a man. If we are to create the America I spoke of it will require the work, inspiration, and imagination of all of us. So here is where I begin to do my part. This event is being held in conjunction with the
MoveOn.org organization. The goal is to have these “Hungry for Change” bake sale events all over the country on June 21st and 22nd.

Baking For Obama


Location: In front of the fountain at 47th & Main in Kansas City, MO
Date & Time: June 21, 2008 at 12:00PM

Please come out and help us make this an event to remember. Let’s take our country back one cookie and cupcake at a time. If you would like to volunteer or donate some baked goods or cash, please feel to contact me at rodney.knott@gmail.com.

1 comment:

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there! {waves}

How did this fundraiser turn out?

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

 
HTML stat tracker